Dear Church Family:
We had a wonderful turn out this last Saturday for our very first outreach meeting; we’re praising God for what he’s already doing as He leads and mobilizes us!
I also know not everyone who wanted to attend was able to attend, so I wanted to communicate what was presented:
Simply stated, it’s how we live out the gospel; as Jesus reached out to us, we reach out to others to show His love. But outreach isn’t just about showing Christ’s love to others, it’s also about showing our love for Him. Practically-speaking, we show our love for Jesus by loving others, without expecting anything in return (Matt. 25:31-40).
We envision being known as more than just “the church with the street sign.” We envision being salt and light to our community — engaging our community through a loving presence. We envision impacting lives through purposeful and practical acts of kindness which in turn open the door for sharing the gospel. As the saying goes, people don’t care what you know until they know that your care. So, ultimately, although we desire to show we care about our community without expecting anything in return, we envision church and kingdom growth through gospel-sharing opportunities, all for God’s honor and glory.
To glorify God and show our love for Christ by impacting our community with love and the gospel.
How We’ll Accomplish our Vision and Mission
We will commit to our vision and mission by consistently carrying out loving acts of kindness to our community on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis. We will also order t-shirts that will show the community who we are, and we’ll offer evangelism training so that everyone will feel equipped for sharing the gospel when God opens opportunities to share the gospel.
Some ideas (Not set in stone):
- Free waters & sodas at Grossmont Center or busy intersections (Weekly)
- Free donuts & coffee at nearby trolley stops (Weekly)
- Care to the elderly suffering from Alzheimer’s (Monthly)
- Pershing Middle School Teacher’s Lounge (Monthly)
- Bagged food & hygiene products for local homeless (Quarterly)
- Adoption of an apartment complex or canvassing nearby homes (Quarterly)
- Community Service Day (Yearly)
- Volunteering for the La Mesa Parade (Yearly)
Some things that are already happening:
- Ministry to senior citizens in assisted living (weekly)
- Public middle school and high school campus outreach (weekly)
- God’s Extended Hand homeless ministry in downtown San Diego (monthly)
- Orphan ministry in Tijuana (quarterly)
What You Can Do
- Pray: lift up the harvest and the workers
- Get equipped: sign up for evangelism training
- Join the team: volunteer to help in one or more of these areas
- Use your gifts: even if you’re unable to get involved in these specific ways, you may still be able to get involved in other ways. Perhaps you can disciple someone one-on-one, lead a Bible study at someone’s home, or donate needed items, etc. Ask yourself, “How has God gifted me, and how can I apply my gifts?”
I want to encourage everyone to prayerfully consider becoming a part of our outreach efforts.
We are planning a 2-part evangelism course on the evenings of Wednesday, July 1, and Wednesday, July 8, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. If you’d like to take advantage of this training, please register by Monday, June 29, by emailing me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The plan is to begin converting ideas into action as soon as our evangelism training is complete; we should be in a position to implement some weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly strategies as soon as mid-July, so please also feel free to contact me if you weren’t able to attend our initial meeting, but are still interested in volunteering in outreach.
I’m very much looking forward to impacting our local community with love and the gospel together with you!